Well, it has certainly been an interesting first month’s ride for Dell’s Blog! Divided opinion at the start from various bloggers on the format and content, lots of listening and interaction and now a change of name from One2One to Direct2Dell because of an Adult site which is also called One2One! Phew!
So, what’s coming next? I guess that we’ll have to wait and see.
It is, however, interesting to watch the changes happen and I have no doubt that there will still be more to come. Most of us launching a Business Blog go through the same sort of initial debates and modifications, albeit not under the intense scrutiny that Dell has had.
While I do believe that a lot of what has happened could and should have been foreseen and planned for, nevertheless, there are certainly some positive lessons that we should take from the way in which Dell has dealt with this:
- Plan ahead properly prior to launch but be ready and able to adapt
- Accept and respond to criticisms online, but also offline where appropriate
- Continue to communicate with all your readers, don’t just focus all your attention on your critics
- Keep your readers informed, and explain why you are doing what you are doing
- Don’t chop and change – if you decide to make a change then have the courage of your convictions and do it properly
- Outline your intentions going forward so that your readers know where you are heading
All about communication really and keeping your readers informed – and of course there’s no better way to do that than through your blog!